woensdag 21 maart 2018

Back to Reality

rawpixel / Pixabay

After a glorious two weeks at home, it’s back to reality.  Yes, I’m back at work this week.  And to be honest, it’s not so bad.  In terms of recovery, I don’t think I actually needed the full two weeks off, but it was certainly better safe than sorry.  The added rest was certainly nice, and I’m sure the lower stress level helped too.

Week one was pretty quiet.  I spent a lot of time just hanging out and watching tv.  I made a few quick outings, nothing too strenuous, and a week after surgery, I was able to walk on the treadmill, though it was slow going.  By Wednesday of the next week I was feeling pretty great.  Still being careful, but I could get on my bike without pain and spent some time doing small projects around the house (while still getting in quality couch time with the cats).

Work hasn’t been bad at all.  Monday I did a full day, went for a 2 mile walk at lunch, and still had plenty of energy for a bike ride that evening.  I’d say I’m well on my way to recovery.

In terms of training, I’m taking that much more slowly.  I’m not allowed to swim for four weeks, so basically, I won’t be making a return to the pool til April.  I haven’t been running because of my hip, but I’m working with my physical therapist (going back this week), and we’re going to make a plan to get me back to running.  And I’m easing into biking, not pushing too hard.

Obviously, I haven’t been working with my coach this month and I think I’m going to take April off from formal training as well, and just work with what feels good.  Plan a workout, but just do it by feel.  I’ll still try to get in 2 workouts from each sport, but not overtax myself.  After all, I don’t have any major race goals this year except to cross some finish lines.  I’m not racing til July.  Plenty of time to get ready.

Of course, as I watch the snow come down outside my window, it’s a bit strange to be thinking about triathlon!  Happy spring?

The post Back to Reality appeared first on Elbowglitter.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten