donderdag 5 april 2018

Tacking the Tour of Watopia

You know what?  Easing back in is hard.  Because even though I’m well on my way to being back to full strength after my surgery, I still have this hip injury to deal with.

Right now, Zwift is doing their Tour of Watopia, a series of 7 rides that takes you through all of their courses (I think).  It’s a pretty cool challenge, and while I’m not sure I will be able to complete it due to scheduling (and also some of the legs are super hard), I figured I would try the first leg.

The great thing about the challenge is that it’s not a race.  It’s not about how fast you go.  You just have to cover the course.  Which is good, because I wasn’t fast to begin with and dealing with an injury and surgery recovery, well… yeah.

(Thankfully, the programmers at Zwift are nice and no matter how slow I went, they never made my avatar fall over, which is exactly what would have happened if I were actually riding at that speed on some of those steep climbs.)

I made it through the first leg taking it easy, not pushing, and just riding at a comfortable level.  It took forever, but that’s okay.  Also according to the stats, I wasn’t last.  And most importantly, it didn’t hurt.

At first.

My muscles were not prepared for this workout.  While I made it through with no pain, just some fatigue, a few hours later, I was sore.  Super sore.  Do not recommend.  Of course, some of this was my own fault – if I had stretched just a bit more or not done the workout so late in the evening and walked around more following the ride, things may have been better.

But it was a good reminder that I’m not back to full force just yet.  No regrets, of course.  And I’m still going to push the workouts (though I don’t know that I’m going to finish Tour of Watopia, because one of the legs has almost 4500 feet of climbing and that’s a lot).  But I’m also making a point to remember to take rest days when I need them.  Slow and steady.  Slow and steady.

The post Tacking the Tour of Watopia appeared first on Elbowglitter.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten