dinsdag 29 maart 2016

Next race – Cherry Blossom Ten Miler

cucblogoMy next race is this weekend, and it’s one of my favorites – the Credit Union Cherry Blossom ten miler.  This will be my sixth year running, and hopefully not my slowest year running.  March was kind of a wash when it comes to training, thanks mostly to being sick.  I got in six miles this weekend, though, and it went significantly better than expected.

That said, we’ll see how my lungs hold out.  And my legs.  I’m not a fast runner to begin with and this is a 14 minute mile pace.  On a normal day, sure, that’s not a problem, but who knows what my lungs will decide to do come race day.  I’ve been slowly weaning off my cough suppressant, which is going well.  I can actually sleep without spending half the night coughing!  I consider that a victory.  I also know that this race has a sweep point at mile 5, so if I hit there and know it’s just not my day, I can opt out.  I’ve never DNFed a race before, but there’s always a first time for everything, and better safe than sorry.  I am feeling significantly better though, so here’s hoping!

So, the race.  I love this race, even though the weather is traditionally terrible.  Last year, we lucked out and got to run under peak blooms.  This year, we’ll be a week after peak, so there will likely be lots of blossoms on the ground, sadly.  But it’s still a great course.  I love running through the streets of DC, and I even love Hains Point, even though everyone hates it.

(Side note – The best part of last year’s race was beginning Hains Point with Betsy and hearing her say “This isn’t so bad!” and finishing Hains Point with Betsy and hearing her say “I hate Hains Point.”)

This is an awesome race – a big race with the spirit of a small race.  And actually, it’s not THAT big of a race – which is why the lottery is such a big deal.  This was my first ten mile race, and my first big race in DC, and it will always be special to me.  So here’s hoping my lungs and legs get me to my sixth finish!

The post Next race – Cherry Blossom Ten Miler appeared first on Elbowglitter.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten