maandag 13 juni 2016

Balancing Training and Life

Ben_Kerckx / Pixabay

Ben_Kerckx / Pixabay

Life is a balancing act.

Our days are full of the things we have to do and the things we want to do.  We’re always balancing between our wants and our needs.

For me, race training falls somewhere between the two.

Obviously, I don’t have to race.  Racing in general is a want.  But if I’m going to race, training becomes a need.  And on some level, it’s also a need because I need to stay healthy.  I’m pretty sure that with very little effort, I could weigh over 300 pounds and spend my days on the couch reading books and watching tv.  So training, and eating healthy to support my training is pretty important.

Of course, my job comes before my training.  I have to be able to pay for this fun hobby, after all.  Plus all the other expenses like housing and food.  But I’ve been able to do a good amount of balancing to ensure that I can do both.

Family also comes before my training, which meant that this weekend’s training wasn’t the best.  My parents were in town, which was awesome and so much fun, but it definitely meant I didn’t get in my 8 mile run.  I did a lot of walking though, so maybe that counts.  I also got in a two hour bike ride before they arrived.

In many ways, the balancing act is easy for me.  It’s pretty much all my time. I’m not balancing a spouse or kids.  My cats get grumpy when I get up early on the weekends to run, but they’ll get over it.  Of course, it means I just stop cleaning my house, but thankfully, the cats don’t care about that.  I’m always impressed with people who make it work while still managing to get to all their kids’ activities.  But clearly it can be done.

I think it’s all about your priorities.  What’s important to you?  Figure it out, then make those things work.

The post Balancing Training and Life appeared first on Elbowglitter.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten